Inspired by Bookgrrl’s post on 5 things that are the same or different to 5 years ago (the last time the Census rolled around) I thought I’d reflect on this too.
I had to stop and think about the question of where I was living 5 years ago – it seems like a lifetime ago really. Five years ago I was living the ‘married with kids in the suburbs’ life.
In the past 5 years I’ve
- finished my undergraduate degree,
- started my Masters,
- been through a divorce,
- met someone new,
- changed jobs 3 times,
- moved house twice (I’m still in the suburbs :-)),
- bought my first car,
- joined in the twitter conversation,
- survived the HSC parenting experience twice (well, almost – we’re not quite finished the 2nd one..),
- been to my first heavy metal concert,
- visited my brother in the UK,
- taken the kids camping,
- left bookclub and then rejoined when I missed it too much
So what’s remained the same? I still have 3 fabulous kids, wonderfully kind and generous friends, my family and my health. Change is fine – good even, as long as those basics remain the same.